Medical Cannabis Qualifying Conditions
Only patients who are legal Minnesota residents and have been diagnosed with one of the qualifying conditions are eligible to receive medical cannabis in Minnesota.
- Cancer associated with severe/chronic pain, nausea or severe vomiting, or cachexia or severe wasting.
- Tourette's Syndrome.
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).
- Seizures, including those characteristic of Epilepsy.
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristic of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s disease.
- Terminal illness, with a probable life expectancy of less than one year*
- Intractable pain. Various causes and diagnoses (Ex- Migraines)
- Post traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Alzheimer's Enroll July 1, 2019 and allowed to pick up medication August 1st, 2019
Locations where Medical Cannabis is dispensed ( see right )
Start the process by contacting your health care practitioner who has responsibility for your care connected to your qualifying condition.
You must have one of these conditions, and be a Minnesota resident, in order to be certified for medical cannabis.
Check to be sure that your health care practitioner is able to certify your qualifying condition for the program.
• Email address, Give your practitioner an email address appropriate for medical cannabis communications. You may not want to choose an email that others can access or that belongs to your employer. Please fill, sign and bring the Patient E-mail and Acknowledgement Form (PDF: 94KB/2 pages) to your health care practitioner.
• Request a Visit Summary, with all your current medications and medical conditions. This will be helpful for the pharmacist at the cannabis patient center.
When your practitioner has certified that you have a qualifying condition, you will receive an email (using the address you gave your provider) from the Office of Medical Cannabis.
The email will contain the link you need in order to register online and an important information sheet you should review before completing registration.
In order to register, you will need:
• Link in your email from the Office of Medical Cannabis.
• Your name, address and phone number. You will need to sit at one our office computer stations and access your email inbox.
• Government-issued ID: state ID, driver's license, or passport (scan or photo from phone).
• Government assistance plan ID: Medicaid, MN Care, SSI, Social Security Disability, Medical Assistance, CHAMPVA, VA Disability (scan or photo from phone).
• Credit card to pay Annual Registration Fee via USBank website.
You will receive an email when your account has been approved.
You will need to complete the patient self-evaluation report in your account in the registry.
Complete the patient self-evaluation report to expedite your visit to the cannabis patient center.
You, your parent, legal guardian or caregiver must visit the cannabis patient center, where a pharmacist will review your account, and recommend specific dosage and type. Payment will be made at that time, to the cannabis patient center.
• Cannabis Patient Center Locations Check this map for locations and hours.
Before returning for more medical cannabis you must login to the registry and fill out the patient self-evaluation form. This must be done each time you need more medical cannabis.